Frequent volunteer tasks include:
– trail-mulching (using wheelbarrow, pitchfork, rake)
– watering, weeding, fertilizing, pruning of Homestead Grounds gardens
(usually on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9 a.m.-ish to noon-ish)
– tree propagation nursery routine tasks such as watering, weeding, mulching
– litter patrol on our Homestead grounds or on the trails (we have garbage bags,
but appreciate it if you supply your own)
- invasive-plant removal (sturdy gloves, sometimes clippers, loppers, or weed-whacker
– trails monitors to regularly walk the trails, alert us to litter or vandalism issues, stream
blockage, bridge damage, downed trees, etc. The more “eyes and ears” we have on
the trails, the safer and cleaner they are for everyone!
– Greet visitors, tell them more about the Chesapeake Arboretum, as a member of our
“L.E.A.F” Team. This is a perfect opportunity for someone who isn’t capable of or
interested in some of the more physically-exerting tasks we need, but who has a few
hours a month to offer.
We can also use you if you have office administrative/organizing/record-keeping skill or if you’d
like to help tidy up our Farmhouse (sweep, vacuum, interior decorate…….) Do you enjoy desktop publishing, graphics, website-maintenance? We can use you! Do you have a passion for teaching others about the outdoors or about environmental sustainability? “Nature’s Classroom” awaits!
Often our very best volunteers are some of our frequent visitors who simply see what needs to be done and “make it happen” !
Use the “Contact Us” page or leave a message at 757 382 7060 to let us know you’re interested in volunteering. We’ll get back with you promptly to schedule a time! Typically, our site has volunteer supervision weekdays and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to noon. Other times may possibly be arranged, especially for large groups.
Download this form and bring with you the first time you come to volunteer; we’ll keep it on file. You’ll find “Volunteer” lanyards near the sign-in area (on the back porch of the Farmhouse) to wear while you’re with us.
Volunteers under age 16 need an adult to assist/supervise while onsite, please!
We also recommend:
* STURDY, NON-SLIP FOOTGEAR
* INSECT REPELLENT
* WATER FOR PERSONAL HYDRATION
Volunteers are truly the backbone of the Arboretum.
Individuals, families, faith-based groups, corporations, Scouts, and civic organizations are among our many contributors.
WE THANK YOU ALL !